2014-09-25 / Island History

This Week In Island History

Week of September 25
Compiled by Sue Maden

The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago

From the Newport Journal, September 25, 1914

Steamer Conanicut was destroyed by fire at its dock in Jamestown Sunday morning. The loss will fall pretty heavily on the company; it was insured for only $22,000, with a zero percent clause, and two or three years ago $64,000 was the lowest price that could be secured to duplicate it. One of Champlin’s launches was requisitioned to run the trips of the burned boat during the early part of the morning, while the Narragansett, which was laid up at the old Saunders dock and under repairs, was being made ready.

Jamestown Waterworks has made a contract with the Simpson Brothers Corporation of Boston, for the construction of a concrete water tower. It will be located near the present one, will be 35 feet in diameter and 50 feet high, and have a capacity of 260,000 gallons.

75 years ago

From the Newport Daily News, September 23, 1939

A striped bass weighing 30 pounds, and caught by Harry Spooner, 13, of Providence, who is spending the summer with his parents at Hull Cove, has been on display at one of the markets in town.

From the Newport Daily News, September 26, 1939

Americans attempting to flee from Europe meet profiteering on every hand, according to M. James Vieira, Jamestown lawyer. He recently returned from a visit to Ireland with his mother.

From the Newport Daily News, September 27, 1939

With the Jamestown bridge now listed by engineers as 60 percent completed, it appears almost certain that it will be ready for operation in June 1940.

50 years ago

From the Newport Daily News, September 23, 1964

The proposed Newport Bay Bridge would cost a total of $42,000,000 and is not only feasible from engineering and financial viewpoints but will contribute much to the future growth of the area.

Mark David Janas was baptized on Sunday in St. Mark’s Church. It was the first time the sacrament of baptism was given entirely in the English language in the church.

From the Newport Daily News, September 29, 1964

The Jamestown Town Council was urged last night by Daniel J. Murray, town attorney, to require future land developers in the town to construct improved roads, even in subdivisions established prior to the subdivision ordinance.

25 years ago

From the Jamestown Press, September 21, 1989

Superintendent Phyllis Schmidt and school officials expect to get two design drafts and a rough cost estimate of the new school addition from East Greenwich architects MacLeish and Johnson “within the next couple of weeks.” Previous plans to build a $43.5 million addition to the school fell through when nearly 200 Narragansett Indian graves were discovered on the proposed building site.

Residents failed to deliver a mandate in favor of building a new police station on a site opposite the town country club at a Town Council-sponsored workshop Tuesday night.

15 years ago

From the Jamestown Press, September 23, 1999

In the click of the shutter it was over. The once-in-a-lifetime whole island portrait was taken Saturday. About 2,000 people turned out for the event.

To be or not to be? That was the question at a joint community meeting held by the state Department of Transporta- tion in North Kingstown Tuesday evening on the future of the old Jamestown Bridge. It was called a “trash-ridden behemoth,” and then its beauty was compared to the historic Brooklyn Bridge. During a 90-minute discussion, comments from more than 100 residents swung from one extreme to the other over whether the old bridge should be maintained as a bicyclepedestrian path or demolished.

10 years ago

From the Jamestown Press,

September 23, 2004

The Affordable Housing Committee held a special meeting on Sept. 20 to vote on recommending its proposed housing plan to the Town Council. Committee member Carol Buglio moved to “strongly endorse” the plan as a document ready for public input, which the committee unanimously approved. At its Sept. 13 meeting, the committee reviewed and made changes to the document that is due to go to the council by mid- October.

Return to top