2018-06-07 / Island History

ISLAND HISTORY

About 250 volunteers are needed to build the community playground adjacent to the library on North Road, The Jamestown Press reported June 7, 1990.

The project, which was launched after the school’s park was dismantled because an Indian burial site was discovered underneath, is being billed as the largest American playground made from recycled plastic. Organizers have raised nearly $40,000 in addition to the donated “plastic lumber” from Almacs and the Rhode Island Waste Management Corporation.

Lunch and childcare will be provided for workers during the four-day construction schedule.

100 years ago — June 7, 1918 (Newport Mercury)

Newport dealers are not able to meet the sufficient coal needs of businesses in Jamestown.

Some egg coal is there, but with tourists arriving for the summer, stove and chestnut coal are in demand. Newport, which has made its emergency apportionment to its neighbor, also is dealing with a short supply.

Port closures along the coast because of submarine scares have injected another delay in the coal problem.

75 years ago — June 11, 1943 (Newport Mercury)

The U.S. Navy has released the names of four airmen killed when their plane crashed into Narragansett Bay.

Ensign Leon T. Gerhard, of Pennsylvania, was killed alongside enlisted men Donald J. Cross, of Wisconsin, Morrison C. Dobson, of North Carolina, and William Richard Walsh, of Massachusetts. All the bodies were recovered.

50 years ago — June 7, 1968 (Newport Daily News)

The Louise, a 30-foot cabin cruiser owned by a Warwick man, was towed to Dutch Island by a U.S. Coast Guard crew from Castle Hill. The boat reportedly developed engine trouble as it tried to depart the West Passage.

25 years ago — June 10, 1993 (The Jamestown Press)

A two-man committee has been formed to review proposals that would keep the Fort Wetherill boat basin under town control.

Councilmen Richard Hines and Steve McInnis were appointed to the panel. The decision follows the federal government’s ultimatum for the town to pay $160,400 or relinquish the title. The town could keep the land for free if it were used to benefit public health, such as a sewage treatment plant. Instead, the town has maintained a highway barn at the site. The Fort Wetherill Boat Owners Association, which leases the basin, is working with the town to draft a plan that would keep the land from the feds.

10 years ago — June 12, 2008 (The Jamestown Press)

Hand-painted signs warning visitors not to swim have been posted at Mackerel Cove after heavy rains washed storm water into the ocean.

According to the state Department of Health, the healthy maximum for enterococci bacteria is 104 colony-forming units per 100 milliliters of saltwater. Three tests taken by the state at the town beach ranged from 125 to 441 colony-forming units.

Despite the high readings, health officials said the bacteria is not life threatening, and contamination should subside within a few days.

Return to top